The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Closing date for applications:
Place of work: Leipzig
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
master thesis project at the intersection of Movement Ecology and Ecological Modelling is open for applications:
Master thesis (m/f/x) - Agent-based modelling of ground beetle movement and their observationFull-time, starting date: 01.01.2021, limited to 6 months
- Develop an agent-based model (preferably in NetLogo, optionally in R or Python) using the virtual ecologist approach to mimic the trapping of ground beetles at small water bodies.
- Parameterize the model with field observations to infer to the movement patterns of different ground beetle species
- Link model parameters with species-specific traits (e.g. body size, habitat preference) to generalize the results (optional)
- Document the model and the analysis via GitHub and standard protocols to facilitate usage in subsequent studies
- Keen interest in modelling and linking models to data
- Sound knowledge in data analysis (R, Python)
- Experience in agent-based modelling and NetLogo would be an asset but is not required
- Participate in ongoing interdisciplinary research including the possibility to be part of scientific publication
- Being involved in RGT (Graduiertenkolleg) BioMove (Potsdam/Berlin) and/or the Department of Ecological Modelling at the UFZ (Leipzig)
- Frequent supervision & openness to your ideas
- And insights into the fields of modelling, movement ecology and agroecology
Supervision team: Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Volker Grimm, Alexander Milles, Nadja Heitmann