The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Closing date for applications:
Place of work: Leipzig
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
In order to strengthen the research of the Department of Bioenergy, we are currently looking for the best candidate for the following position:
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/x) in Renewable EnergiesWorking time: 100% (39 hours per week), limited to 5 years
The candidate will be part of the multidisciplinary research group “Renewable Energies”. Within the working group, work is being done on both systems modelling of future renewable power, heat, chemicals and fuel supply, as well as spatial analysis, monitoring and evaluation of existing renewable energy infrastructure and their environmental effects. A central task of the group is the further development of the open source BENOPT model.
The following research activities are associated to the position:
- Systems modelling assessments of biomass usage
- Systems transformation assessments of renewable energy and materials
- Supervision of the further development of BENOPT
- Strategic development and scientific positioning of the working group
- Publication and dissemination of scientific results in technical conferences and scientific journals
- Conception and execution of applied research projects
- Supervision of Master and Doctoral thesis works
- Supporting the Department’s activities in further education (i.e. lectures for the UFZ Graduate School and at MSc programme of the universities associated to the Department)
- candidates should hold a PhD degree in a relevant scientific discipline related to systems analysis (e.g. energy systems modelling, environmental sciences, environmental engineering, industrial ecology or similar).
- experience with leading working groups or similar experience
- proven strong programming skills in Matlab, Python or Julia and an optimization language (GAMS, Pyomo, JuMP, etc.)
- expertise in life-cycle assessment (LCA) would be a plus
- experience with the development and maintenance of code bases in a team environment (Git)
- research knowledge of biomass and bioenergy, preferably in energy systems
- experience in energy systems modelling
- expertise in geographic information systems (GIS) is desirable
- strong interest in analysing and modelling energy related topics
- a strong publication record in peer-review journals
- fluent German and English
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration up to the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13 including attractive public-sector social security benefits