The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Closing date for applications:
Place of work: Leipzig
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
Student Research Assistant/HIWI (m/f/x)To make recent results of different publications, which analysed key indicators of agricultural production and its stability worldwide, accessible via internet, we seek for a student helper. The task is to make previously developed analysis-scripts based on R code accessible via a web page.
Working time: between 8 and max. 19 hours per week
Start: at the earliest possible date
Duration: 2-4 Months
• Extraction of global time series on crop production to analyze temporal developments of crop yields, yield stability, yield asynchrony and diversity using existing datasets (from FAO) and R scripts
• Interactive presentation of the results on a web page/ web app
• Very good R skills with experience in the analysis of large and spatial data
• Experience or willingness to get acquainted with the development of interactive web apps (e.g. R Shiny)
• Good oral and written English skills
• Creativity and interest in the research area
• Willingness to work independently
• Enrolment at a German university is mandatory
The application should include a short cover letter and a CV.
• Individual supervision from colleagues with various expertise
• Work in an interdisciplinary environment in a leading research institute
• The opportunity to develop your own ideas
• Visibility of research results