The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
The research unit "Chemicals in the Environment" is offering the following vacancy at the nearest possible date.
PostDoc / Senior Scientist (m/f): Research FellowWorking time: 100% (39h / week), limited in the first phase to max. five years
options for extension and/or transition into tenure track
With this position we seek to foster research activities of the UFZ research unit ‚Chemicals in the Environment‘ in the field of the relevance of microbiome for understanding mechanisms of toxicity in fish and humans. The added value is expected to be gained from targeted projects within the research unit and potentially also in conjunction with other research fields such as environmental microbiology or water resources. The position is thus expected to initiate and promote experimental, modelling and observation-based studies that help us to derive:
- adverse outcome pathways;
- expertise building on toxicological key events;
- integration of chemical and biological water quality measures;
- strategies to integrate environmental and health risk assessment.
- building an independent research agenda within the programmatic frame;
- developing specific projects;
- providing lead in integrated projects;
- attracting key players to participate;
- Communicating outcomes and developing conceptual frameworks.
- record of innovative thinking;
- good analytical and conceptual thinking;
- good scientific writing and publishing experiences;
- demonstrated expertise in environmental chemistry and ecotoxicology;
- experience in data analysis with advanced methods and models;
- capability to network and cooperate with and integrate research from different fields.
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration up to the TVöD public-sector pay grade 14 including attractive public-sector social security benefits