The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
Water movement in soil is of central importance for many soil functions including plant production, water storage and filtering, as well as global matter cycling. Classical concepts of modelling water dynamics in soil typically fail in case of fast processes during water infiltration and in predicting lateral flows along hill slopes.
A new trilateral project (UFZ Halle, ZALF Müncheberg, TU-Dresden) on "Vadose zone Modeling of water flow in hill slope Soil (VAMOS)", funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), will make use of existing long term monitoring data from a TERENO lysimeter network to develop new tools for modeling hydraulic non-equilibrium and the onset of lateral flows along hill slopes.
The job offer at ZALF for another PhD position in this project can be found at
At UFZ we seek a
PhD Student (m/f)Working time: 65% (25,35 hours per week), starting January 2019 or as soon as possible afterwards. The project is limited to three years.
- Time-series’ analysis of lysimeter data
- Extension of existing hydraulic models to include hydraulic non-equilibrium
- Relating soil structural properties to model parameters
- Reporting (documentation, presentation) and publication in scientific journals
- Solid background in soil physics
- Programming skills would be very useful
- Willingness to work in an international team
- Good command in English
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and profes-sional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration at public-sector pay grade TVöD E13 (65%) including attractive public-sector social security benefits.
- a cover letter: explaining your motivation to conduct a PhD, your interest in the announced PhD topic, and any job-related experience you think important (including applied methods)
- a detailed curriculum vitae
- copies of certificates (high school/ B.Sc./ M.Sc.), and a transcript of all covered subjects and grades (B.Sc./ M.Sc.)