The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
The research unit ‚Chemicals in the Environment‘ is offering the following vacancy at the nearest possible date.
Senior Scientist (m/f): Synthesis positionWorking time: 100% (39h 7 week), limited to 2 years (with Tenure Track Option)
We seek to foster research activities of the UFZ research unit "Chemicals" by complementary synthesis initiatives. The added value is expected to be gained from targeted projects within the research unit and potentially also in conjunction with other research units such as water resources or ecosystems of the future. The position is thus expected to initiate and promote theory-driven and data-based synthesis projects in one or more of the following fields:
1) Frameworks to linking individual to population responses in adverse outcome pathways;
2) Multiple stress: Bridging across different stressor scales;
3) Enhancing the interoperability of available data basis, tools and expertise;
4) Water quality: Fostering integration of chemical and biological quality measures;
5) Strategies to integrate environmental and health risk assessment.
The successful candidate is expected to
- Develop specific synthesis projects;
- Provide lead in performing prioritized projects;
- Attract key players to participate;
- Communicate conceptual frameworks and outcomes
Candidates should have completed a doctorate, proven multi-year experience as Post-Doc before the date of appointment and show evidence of outstanding potential
for the research field. We expect:
- Broad expertise in different fields of environmental chemistry and ecotoxicology;
- Experience in data analysis with advanced methods and models;
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking;
- Good scientific writing and publishing experiences;
- Involvement in opinion and review papers;
- Capability to network and cooperate with and integrate research from different fields.
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration up to the TVöD public-sector pay grade 14 including attractive public-sector social security benefits