The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
The Department of Catchment Hydrology is offering a position for Master
thesis to commence at the earliest convenience.
Master thesis (m/f)
Subject: Climatic and landscape controls on the occurrence of extreme floodsA reliable assessment of the flooding hazard of river basins is crucial for many
disciplines ranging from water resources management to urban planning and
the insurance industry. However, the stochastic character of streamflows
makes this a difficult task, particularly when long series of observed discharge
data are not available. New methods promise to increase the reliability of the
estimates of flood magnitude and frequency, especially in conditions of data
scarcity, by exploiting a new conceptualization of hydrological processes.
This thesis work aims at identifying key climatic and landscape controls
on flooding potential of river basins, in order to develop a tool to assess
if available data series are long enough to provide reliable estimates of the
- Understand and acquaint yourself with mathematical methods to estimate magnitude and frequency of floods
- Code and implement new mathematical findings by means of programming languages
- Apply models to river basins in different geographic and climatic settings
- Analyze, interpret and summarize results
We are looking for motivated students interested to work on a topic at the forefront of the scientific research on floods. The following attributes are required:
- Willingness to learn new things
- Background in hydrology or civil and environmental engineering
- Good mathematical and statistical understanding
- Experience in programming (especially Python)
- Great insights into the work of a leading research institute
- Individual supervision with the possibility to work independently
- A topic with high chances of future scientic outcomes (e.g. publications)
- Work in international teams in a well-equipped institute
- The timing is flexible and applications are accepted any time. Please get in touch with us for further details.