The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
Within the DFG funded priority programme “Rhizosphere spatiotemporal organisation – a key to rhizosphere functions” we are seeking for a motivated PhD student (m/f). This sub-project aims at investigating the spatio-temporal development of small-scale molecular gradients of organic carbon in early rhizosphere development from non-rhizosphere pre-conditions in soil column experiments. Anticipated start of the project is 1st of June 2018
PhD position (m/f)
Subject: A molecular perspective on plant-microbiome interactions during rhizosphere developmentWorking time: 65 % (25,35 h / week), limited for three years. Subject to final approval by the DFG.
- Analysis of DOC samples with ultra-high resolution mass spectrometry (FT-ICR MS).
- Application of stable isotope labelling methods.
- Method development for mass spectrometry imaging of soil surfaces.
- Installation and operation of soil column and microcosm experiments at UFZ Halle.
- Analysis of supplementary parameters (nutrients, etc).
- Participation in training courses, workshops and conferences.
- Master’s degree in Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Geosciences or related natural sciences.
- Strong background in at least one of the following disciplines: biogeochemistry, organic geochemistry, geo-ecology, soil sciences or related fields
- Skills in organic (ultra-) high resolution mass spectrometry as well as statistics and programming (R, Python, Matlab) are highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently and motivated to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Driving license.
- Top level interdisciplinary research at a research centre which enjoys an excellent reputation within Germany as well as internationally
- Excellent technical facilities
- Work in inter-disciplinary and multinational teams
- Excellent links to national and international research networks
- Support and optimal training courses by our graduate school (HIGRADE)
- Remuneration in accordance with the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13