The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
The complex interaction of the soil forming factors activates particular soil forming processes, which in dependence of their intensity and duration, lead to characteristic spatial patterns of soil properties. The vast information obtained from remote sensing imagery, airborne radar, geophysical sensors and many more provides us with proxies of these soil forming factors. Mathematical-statistical modeling approaches may then be used to investigate the quantitative relations between the soil forming factors and individual soil properties. The methodology which is based on data-driven machine learning approaches evolved from pattern recognition and computational learning theory. It is an approach where new spatial soil information is generated by coupling soil data at survey locations with exhaustive grid-based auxiliary information.
Scientist (m/f)working time: 60% (23,40 h / week), limited to 18 months
- Data mining, model development and spatial prediction of soil properties involving machine learning algorithms
- Satellite data and digital terrain analysis
- Publication of the results in international peer reviewed journals
- M.Sc. in Geoinformatics, Geoecology, Remote Sensing, Geosciences, Environmental Sciences, Physical Geography, or other closely related disciplines.
- A profound systemic understanding of soil processes including pedogenesis
- A sound background in natural sciences and geosciences
- Knowledge and experience with programming, e.g. R software environment
- Experience in spatial data analysis and machine learning will be appreciated
- Excellent command of English
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration TVöD public-sector pay grade 13 including attractive public-sector social security benefits